[Savannah-register-public] [task #9624] Submission of Objectify

From: J. Scott Edwards
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9624] Submission of Objectify
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:27:31 +0000

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks to you, Leo, and everyone else for your help.

I wanted to try to clarify the "public objects", because they are kind of the
opposite of generated files.  I actually generate some of the code from them.
My hope is to eventually have most of the program logic inside them.  It is
hard to explain. :(

I guess they/it is sort of a public database, kind of like the CD database,
Wikipedia, Google Maps, and a bunch of other stuff combined.

Let me use a CD as an example of how I hope it will work:  I buy one of the
new remastered Beatles CDs at Best Buy, bring it home and put it in my
computer.  Assuming someone else has already entered the info about it into
the public objects, the computer finds it in the public objects and not only
gets the track info like the cddb does but automatically links to other
information on the Beatles.  I can get directly to information on the band
members.  If there is some word I don't know the meaning of in the title of
one of the songs, I can look it up directly.

I can also scan in the receipt from Best Buy and it can look up the Best Buy
store information in the public objects (and of course record that I bought
that CD at Best Buy in my private objects/database).

Also if there is some problem with the transaction and I have to call the
bank, I can directly get the phone number.  I don't have to go their web page,
search around to visually find the "contact info", and then search for this or
that.

Sorry, this got so long.  I feel frustrated that I can't explain this thing
better.  Thanks again for all of your help.

-Scott