savannah-hackers

Re: What are the rules for packages in savannah.nongnu.org?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: What are the rules for packages in savannah.nongnu.org?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:24:42 +0000

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 08:48:30PM +1000, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:

> > I would remove "must not refer the user to any nonfree software",
> > it seems too strong to me (e.g. when Emacs says it runs on top
> > of specific nonfree OSes, it sounds like a reference to me):
>
> I would perhaps avoid such a mention completely, or at least complement it
> with a note that the target OS is 'non-free', and a link to free
> distributions.

The current policy for GNU packages is to judge about things like
whether it would really inform the users about proprietary software
or they are likely to know about it anyway,

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/References.html

If GNU packages were expected to avoid any references completely,
I wonder how they could support nonfree platforms, which is
acceptable,

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Platforms.html