savannah-hackers

Re: https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:08:42 +0000

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:32:35AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> That page doesn't say that savannah.gnu.org is only for GNU packages.
> It seems to be written to cover savannah.nongnu.org.

In fact, Savannah is a single forge, nongnu vs. gnu separation
is far from complete: there is no way to register an account
on savannah.gnu.org but not on savannah.nongnu.org, and there are
no separate account configurations, the administration trackers
are common (including package registration), the package database
is also common, and when browsers request the wrong domain (like
https://savannah.nongnu.org/p/emacs), they are automatically
redirected.

> Many of the sections are redundant

(Non-GNU) Savannah policies must be compatible with the policies
of the GNU Project; when they are not, they should be fixed.

> and potentially misleading because GNU packages
> are covered by stricter requirements.

GNU packages are covered by stricter requirements irrespectively
of where they are hosted. I don't think there is much place
for confusion: when a registration of an unevaluated GNU package
is requested, we ask the user to contact GNU Software Evaluators
or to register as a non-GNU package first. I also don't think
it makes sense for Savannah admins to verify GNU packages
to be hosted on Savannah against a stricter set of requirements,
I believe it should be a job of the GNU Software Evaluators team.