savannah-hackers

Re: https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:13:35 +0000

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:16:27AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > no separate account configurations, the administration trackers
>   > are common (including package registration), the package database
>   > is also common, and when browsers request the wrong domain (like
>   > https://savannah.nongnu.org/p/emacs), they are automatically
>   > redirected.
>
> Sort of ugly, that.  To fix this "right" would be a lot of work, and
> is not worth the trouble I think.  Maybe the separate home page and
> rules page that you just made are enough.
>
> What does "account configurations" mean?

Account configurations include user names, email addresses,
passwords, SSH and GPG keys, website-related preferences and so on.

The same account works with GNU and non-GNU groups.

> What does "administration trackers" mean?

Administration trackers are trackers where Savannah admins
respond to requests of Savannah users; in a sense, they
include this mailing list.

Nothing of that has GNU vs non-GNU separation.

> What is "the package database"?

A set of database tables storing info about Savannah groups
like their names, types, website features used, membership
and permissions, fields used in trackers and tracker histories,
short and longer descriptions as shown in Savannah.

That set is common, whether a group belongs savannah.gnu.org
or savannah.nongnu.org is determined by the value of the type
field in one of those tables.

In practice, when users follow the "Get Support" link
from savannah.gnu.org, they move to savannah.nongnu.org, and
they aren't likely to notice that they "change" the website;
the same as when a support tracker of a non-GNU group
links to an item in the bug tracker of a GNU package.