[Savannah-dev] Re: what's going on with Savannah?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: what's going on with Savannah?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:53:53 +0200

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Marcus> The project was renamed and moved to
>> Marcus> http://gna.org/projects/savane
>>
>> OK, thanks.  That answers my question about the software itself, but
>> what about the hosting of all the FSF (and other) software project?
>
> You are (and you are not alone) confusing Savannah|Savane and Savannah.
> gnu.org.
>
> What happened is:
>
> - There was a security compromise at Savannah.gnu.org (not about
> Savannah|Savane). There was new restrictive security policies applied
> at Savannah.gnu.org by the FSF, which made most of the current Savannah
> hackers people leave and set up another service, Gna!. Also, the
> Savannah software maintainance moved from Savannah to Gna! along with
> its maintainers, which all happened to be part of the former Savannah
> hackers team. The latest version of Savane is used at Gna!.

Just to clarify everything: there is no issue in establishing new
policy ; it is just a matter of how policies must be established.
For instance, I am not sure to understand how it is possible to ignore
the point of view of people that made Savannah running since it was
created when deciding new policies.

More generally, this is a matter of respect and it has nothing
technical. Just a matter of human management.

> Projects may be hosted wherever they want to, though updating the www.
> gnu.org pages has to be done at Savannah.gnu.org. Currently, I am not
> aware of any existing GNU project moving to Gna!, though a new one may
> do so as soon as they get Subversion support (which we do not plan to
> provide at Savannah.gnu.org, though GNU-arch in the future). Several
> non-GNU projects moved to Gna! or any other website, the others stayed.
>
> In a nutshell, nothing changes for GNU volunteers.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken, there is at least one GNU project that
moved to Gna!.
Being hosted at savannah.gnu.org is not a prerequisite for a GNU
Project. While it may be convenient, reliability is maybe at
stakes.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |