[Savannah-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers] what's going on with Savannah?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers] what's going on with Savannah?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:29 +0200

Alex Lancaster wrote:
>>>>> "Marcus" == Marcus Hardt  writes:

Marcus> The project was renamed and moved to
Marcus> http://gna.org/projects/savane

OK, thanks.  That answers my question about the software itself, but
what about the hosting of all the FSF (and other) software project?

You are (and you are not alone) confusing Savannah|Savane and Savannah. gnu.org.

What happened is:

- There was a security compromise at Savannah.gnu.org (not about Savannah|Savane). There was new restrictive security policies applied at Savannah.gnu.org by the FSF, which made most of the current Savannah hackers people leave and set up another service, Gna!. Also, the Savannah software maintainance moved from Savannah to Gna! along with its maintainers, which all happened to be part of the former Savannah hackers team. The latest version of Savane is used at Gna!.

- Savannah.gnu.org is still running and maintained but changes are very slow since we are understaffed, and the new Savannah hackers, came after the previous staff left, and was not familiar at all with both Savannah.gnu.org and the Savannah|Savane code base. The system administrators are not very familiar with Savannah|Savane either. There is currently no link between Gna! and Savannah.gnu.org, though active Savannah hackers are also recent members of the Savane projects, and both team keep getting news from the other team via mailing-lists. I was told the FSF USA did not want to mention Gna! on Savannah, though I keep mentioning it when appropriate at address@hidden I agree, things are pretty messy.

- The code running at Savannah.gnu.org is based on an old branch, and as soon as we get the time, we will externalize all Savannah.gnu.org- specific code so we can include our changes in the Savane code base. Moving to GForge was decided by the FSF, though it would be a very long task. This decision was discussed, but not real conclusion nor justification was reached, so as far as active Savannah hackers are concerned, we would prefer upgrading to Savane instead.

So, Savannah.gnu.org (ran by FSF USA) and Gna! (independent though 'sponsored' by FSF France) are different services maintained separately, though communication is not excluded. The Savannah|Savane codebase is maintained at Gna!.