[Savannah-dev] Re: Do we really need that Javascript?

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: Do we really need that Javascript?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:29:31 +0200

Jaime E. Villate wrote:
Hi Laurent,
A few months ago (before you joined savannah-hackers) I removed that
Javascript help function that Layout.class puts at the top of every webpage,
since it does not seem to serve any purpose. Now I've just noticed that you
put it back, so I was wandering if you have any good reason to put it back.

(if you think it can be removed, please let me do it since I have already made
some other changes to Layout.class that I have not committed yet)

Cheers,
Jaime

Jaime,

I must say that when I started to work on CodeX for Xerox and made modification to the source code I took me some time to decide what to do with Javascript code. The final decision I took was a pragmatic one: keep Javascript at the minimum level and use it when it really makes the UI *much* easier to use.

The reason why I reactivated the help funtion is because of the new Bug Tracking System that I have introduced where most pages come with an online help. Clicking on a question mark (?) in those pages pops up a new medium-sized window which contains a contextual help. If I remember well it also forces the window to the top so that it is always visible.

I am by no mean an HTML export and there might be other ways to open this contextual help window. If so I am open to suggestions.

However I'd like that we think twice before removing this little piece of JScript because my plan is to put much more contextual help on-line in the coming weeks.

Hope this clarifies the reason why I have re-activated the JScript for help fucntions

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team