Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: Do we really need that Javascript?

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: Do we really need that Javascript?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:02:28 +0100

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:29:31PM +0200, Laurent Julliard wrote:
> The reason why I reactivated the help funtion is because of the new Bug
> Tracking System that I have introduced where most pages come with an
> online help. Clicking on a question mark (?) in those pages pops up a
> new medium-sized window which contains a contextual help. If I remember
> well it also forces the window to the top so that it is always visible.
>
> I am by no mean an HTML export and there might be other ways to open
> this contextual help window. If so I am open to suggestions.
>
> However I'd like that we think twice before removing this little piece
> of JScript because my plan is to put much more contextual help on-line
> in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the explanation. For the time being I will not touch it then; but
when I have some time I will create a Layout-js.class to be used by pages that
need the help function, so we do not have to include it in every single
page. I will also show you some time how to get a similar effect, without
using Javascript, and in a way that will also work in lynx, links and w3; even
better, I would group all of your help hints into a single file, and make the
question marks open a new window and place the cursor somewhere within that
single help page, which could also be viewed as a single document.

Cheers,
Jaime