reproduce-devel

[task #15752] Can we allow non-free software in maneage? if yes, then ho

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15752] Can we allow non-free software in maneage? if yes, then how?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 14:19:57 -0400 (EDT)

Update of task #15752 (project reproduce):

software => Can we allow non-free software in maneage? if yes, then how?

Follow-up Comment #4:

[comment #1 comment #1:]
> One fast licensing solution that I have been considering for some time, is
to convert the license of Maneage to LGPL
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License>.

I see no reason for switching to LGPL. On the other hand, we could clarify
that the GPL is the default licence for all the component _programs_ and
_makefiles_ (which might not legally count as "programs") of the _Maneage
package_ .

> Once they start using Maneage and seeing the benefits of free software, we
may be able to convince them to slowly shift from those software and data
formats. But in order to see these benefits, they need to be able to use
Maneage first, in a way that they can incorporate proprietary software.

Sure. So the question is how to handle this specifically.

> Also, I feel Maneage can be appealing to industrial applications too and if
we adopt LGPL, they can safely benefit from and give-back to it.

> So I am changing the title of the task to be more clear.

So I'm changing in again to what seems to me to be more clear. :)

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15752>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/