reproduce-devel

[task #15752] Licensing Maneage as LGPL and including non-free software

From: Mohammadreza Khellat
Subject: [task #15752] Licensing Maneage as LGPL and including non-free software
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 01:10:02 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, task #15752 (project reproduce):

Hi Boud and Mohammad!
Two day ago, Mohammad and I had a chat over this that if we keep Maneage GPL
licensed, wouldn't it be possible for someone who uses non-GPL licensed
software to _use_ Maneage in their project and even _release_ the GPL part?
I believe the answer to both questions are yes.

I will put forward these questions:
* let's say you have written a bash script and you have used grep, which is
GPL licensed, inside your script, do you have to license your script with GPL?

A script is open source in nature, so you can do whatever you want with it, no
questions asked. There is no need to extend or tailor this analogy to our case
because it is already tailored, in its current form, to our case: we have a
GPL licensed script (like grep) and someone else might wanna use it in his/her
own project where s/he is using proprietary software,

* does s/he need to license his/her project with GPL? Well, certainly not. But
of course with enough precautions and measures not to deny our right of
freedom!
** https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLInProprietarySystem
** https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF
** https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#CanDeveloperThirdParty

* Is s/he releasing the source code of the propriety software? of course not!

The purpose of Maneage was to shed light on a research or project workflow and
in my opinion it would be able to do that with GPL.

Please let me know if I have understood the problem correctly.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15752>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/