reproduce-devel

[task #15752] Licensing Maneage as LGPL and including non-free software

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15752] Licensing Maneage as LGPL and including non-free software
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 07:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

Update of task #15752 (project reproduce):

Licensing Maneage as LGPL and including non-free software

Follow-up Comment #1:

One fast licensing solution that I have been considering for some time, is to
convert the license of Maneage to LGPL
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License>. Because I
also know that in some science fields (and certainly in some industries), they
(unfortunately!) rely heavily on proprietary software and data formats.

Once they start using Maneage and seeing the benefits of free software, we may
be able to convince them to slowly shift from those software and data formats.
But in order to see these benefits, they need to be able to use Maneage first,
in a way that they can incorporate proprietary software.

Also, I feel Maneage can be appealing to industrial applications too and if we
adopt LGPL, they can safely benefit from and give-back to it.

So I am changing the title of the task to be more clear.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15752>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/