reproduce-devel

[task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:27:04 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #15635 (project reproduce):

Thanks for bringing this up Boud!

I have been thinking about this for some time, but for now (as you know),
there have been more urgent things to do. As soon as the lower-level things
are more complete, we'll be able to focus on things like this.

So far, this is what I have concluded with: a rolling-release style (something
like ArchLinux) where the whole system is constantly evolving. Tags or
versions are only arbitrary points in history.

Infact we don't even need any actual mailing list or the like: users will just
fetch the main branch, have a look at the commit messages (which are not
technical and tailored to the users), and decide if they want to update their
project at this point in time or not.

So far, my convention has been like this (as you can see from the list of most
recent commits <http://git.maneage.org/project.git/log>): for any change that
will affect projects or does recommend a full re-configuration, I have put an
"IMPORTANT" at the start of the commit title. When a user sees this, they will
know to pay more attention to this commit compared to others.

But we are in a discovery phase on this aspect of Maneage (which is arguably a
whole new paradigm of software, were users aren't passive), the things above
are just what I have been thinking now.

So thanks a lot for bringing it up and feel free to share anything that may
occur to you. We should discuss it here and find the best way forward.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15635>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/