reproduce-devel

[task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15635] Stable branch and/or release candidates/official releases
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 20:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

If we don't want new users to be discouraged, then we should
sooner or later start something like the usual _stable_ versus
_development_ branches, or have official releases with tags (as
with _gnuastro_ :)).

There is already quite a solid learning curve required and
having a failed default
   _./project configure -j8 && ./project make_
would easily be discouraging.

We should also think about making updates between releases
smooth. Debian stable updates have improved over the years,
though users still have to read the guidelines in each case
when updating.

For example - if users are expected to do a full new _configure_,
then that should be in the update instructions. By "update",
I mean merging new 'maneage' commits into a particular project.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15635>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/