Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user

From: Wayne Sallee
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:10:28 -0400

On 10/08/2016 02:48 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 10/08/2016 10:23 AM, Wayne Sallee wrote:
I created a new linux opperating system. While I used the same user name, the
number is different,
so I copied my stuff over to the new system, and chowned the files over.

No problem there.

But now I need to get back to doing the rdiff-backups to the external hard
drive.

Should I chown the external drive so that the files mach, then continue as
usual?

Or is it not that simple? :-)

I'm trying to avoid a lengthy backup session on the new system, and avoid
excessive backup files,
and make easy retrieval should I need an older file.

The problem with that is that the ownership of the files in the mirror
will no longer agree with the numeric ownership recorded in the
rdiff-backup-data metadata files. That shouldn't be a big deal, since
rdiff-backup will default to using the user name when setting the
ownership on restored files. The big problem will be that every file
with a changed ID will be seen as having changed the next time you do a
backup. That is going to result in a very long backup session and the
creation of a huge number of tiny zero-diff files.

It would be a lot cleaner to chown (and chgrp) the files in the new
Linux system and adjust the numeric IDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group to
match the old system.

Thanks.

I'll change the uid and gid of my user on the new system as I should have done
from the beginning.

Wayne Sallee
address@hidden
http://www.WayneSallee.com