[rdiff-backup-users] New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?

From: Wayne Sallee
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 11:23:19 -0400

I created a new linux opperating system. While I used the same user name, the number is different, so I copied my stuff over to the new system, and chowned the files over.

No problem there.

But now I need to get back to doing the rdiff-backups to the external hard
drive.

Should I chown the external drive so that the files mach, then continue as
usual?

Or is it not that simple? :-)

I'm trying to avoid a lengthy backup session on the new system, and avoid excessive backup files, and make easy retrieval should I need an older file.

I should have created the new user on the new linux system with the same user number, but to go back an do that now might be problematic. Maybe it would be easier.

I have close to a terabyte of files.

Wayne Sallee
address@hidden
http://www.WayneSallee.com