Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project

From: Claus-Justus Heine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 20:43:18 +0200

Am 14.08.2015 um 19:30 schrieb Tobias Leupold:
>> You're not going to change that without a major rewrite.
>
>> Like you, I'm no Python guy.

I do not have any serious objections against Python. Its widely used,
and the limiting time factor is IO efficiency, and not the question
about the fasted for-loop ever possible.

Concerning a "major rewrite": for me this is out of scope. I was rather
thinking about a code review. I first want to figure out whether there
are maybe places which can be optimized significantly, e.g. excessive
readir() stuff or something like this, or any other duplicate file IO
which doesn't hurt on small backup sets. Also before a major code
rewrite could be tackled at all, one would first have to understand what
rdiff-backup is doing beneath its skin. Otherwise it would not be clear
what the precise goal of such a major rewrite should be. Ok: to produce
something not worse than rdiff-backup. But to clarify this, you first
have to understand the existing program.

Cheers,

Claus