Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project

From: Claus-Justus Heine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 21:05:04 +0200

Am 14.08.2015 um 19:12 schrieb Robert Nichols:
> On 08/13/2015 02:16 PM, Claus-Justus Heine wrote:
> increments.  In large part it's due to use of the filesystem as a
> database, with bits of information scattered in file names in the
> increments directory and various metadata files. You're not going to
> change that without a major rewrite.

Mmmh. Still I think it would be a good idea to first understand what's
going on there.

> I suppose one solution to the regression issue is to store the archive
> in a filesystem or LVM volume that supports snapshots.  Rather than le
> rdiff-backup do the regression, stop it and restore the snapshot. I
> suspect the penalty in space (transient, until the snapshot is deleted
)
> and performance for the backup would be serious. And that still leaves
> the issue of regressing more than the last level.

Well, that would be a nice solution. I do not understand this "more than
one level". If we are only talking about a failed backup, then one level
is the worst thing which can happen: last backup succeeded, this backup
fails, discard the file-system snapshot, fix the underlying error and re
try.

> Like you, I'm no Python guy. Every time I try to study it, I end up as
> lump in a snake's belly. I think it's because there are some things
> about the language that I hate (starting with the use of whitespace as
> syntax element) and the incompatibility of major versions. And then
> there is the tendency of Python programmers to believe that stack
> backtraces are an acceptable substitute for meaningful error messages.
> It all leaves a bad taste that I just can't get around.

Ok, so: for myself my largest programming experience is in C and C++,
more or less. Still: Python is widely used, it seems to be convenient
for beginners, and: rdiff-backup is written in Python, no need to start
something new. Seemingly, there is no real pressure to migrate to v3 ...

Concerning the Python language personally I rather feel the lack of
internal functions (private, protected etc.). However, so what. C++ is
really really by far (maybe farest) imperfect and still carries tons of
historical ballast.

Many thanks for the feedback, best,

Claus

- --