Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental restoration

From: SiegeLordEx
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental restoration
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:18:20 -0400

On 09/17/2014 09:57 AM, Dominic Raferd wrote:
I can't see how to do what you want except the slow way, but I also
don't understand what you are trying to achieve, or why you want to
restore past increments.

I've been using rdiff-backup for years, and across several reinstalls. Occasionally I don't restore everything from the backup when I do a reinstall, since I, at the time, I think some directory/files are unnecessary. However, I also realize that I might think otherwise in the future, so I prefer for those deleted files (which remain in the backup) to survive the transition between backup systems. Perhaps this is an unorthodox use of the backup concept?

As far as I can see attic (if that is your preferred choice) doesn't
keep prior versions of backed-up files (or deleted files).

attic, from what I can tell after using it a bit, does not assume any sort of temporal ordering between different archives (i.e. different invocations of its backup command). So backing up the same directory at two time points is identical to backing up two directories at different locations with similar files. To the extent that it can restore both archives, it therefore keeps the 'prior' versions of files (where the notion of prior is determined solely by the user). The reason why I'd want to restore in place with rdiff-backup is that hopefully attic's cache system won't have to rescan the files, and not to try to convince it of some temporal ordering between two archives.

Anyway, I managed to do some hardware shufflings and brought down the rdiff-backup's checkout time to just 1 hour, which is sufficiently fast for now.

Thanks!

-SL