[rdiff-backup-users] Files Missing In Backup Resulting in Update Error

From: M. Verkerk
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Files Missing In Backup Resulting in Update Error
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 14:01:29 +0000

Dear all,

Thanks for this script! Really fills the gap between rsync and more advanced backup tools! I ran into some trouble I hope to find some help here!

I’m running rdiff-backup with the following cronjob script:

—Cut--
#!/bin/bash

if [ -e /tmp/backup-XXX.lock ]
then
        echo "Previous backup still in progress! Bailing out!";
        exit 0;
fi

echo "Setting lock file!";
touch /tmp/backup-XXX.lock

echo "Backing up etc!";
nice -n -3 rdiff-backup --print-statistics /etc YYY.domain.nl::/data/backup/XXX/rdiff-disk-backup/etc;
echo "Done!";

echo "Backing up home!";
nice -n -3 rdiff-backup --print-statistics /home YYY.domain.nl::/data/backup/XXX/rdiff-disk-backup/home;
echo "Done!”;

echo "Removing lock file!";
rm /tmp/backup-XXX.lock;

echo "Done!";
-Cut-

During the last backup I got several UpdateErrors with seemingly random backup files (just including three):

—Cut-
UpdateError 529841/top100000.txt Updated mirror temp file /data/backup/XXX/rdiff-disk-backup/home/529841/rdiff-backup.tmp.265 does not match source
UpdateError marijn/src/perl-5.16.1/x2p/s2p Updated mirror temp file /data/backup/XXX/rdiff-disk-backup/home/marijn/src/perl-5.16.1/x2p/rdiff-backup.tmp.4011 does not match source
UpdateError 529841/FVC/Meta_all/ecrhs_ALL1.txt Updated mirror temp file /data/backup/XXX/rdiff-disk-backup/home/529841/FVC/Meta_all/rdiff-backup.tmp.231 does not match source
-Pase-

The files mentioned here ARE existing on the backup source drive with no peculiar ownership or permissions. Somehow they are NOT on the backup folder - they should have been, some of the files are there and not changed since we start using rdiff-backup. I think the error message is indirectly related to the problem. Could this be a network failure - as you can see in the script we are using ssh?

More important: what can I do to trigger the rdiff-backup to reconsider en copy these omitted files?

Thanks very much in advanced!

Marijn