Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?

From: Damon Timm
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:47:30 -0500

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:
> A good approach to that would be using software which prepares an alternate
> presentation of the repository, such as archfs,
> http://code.google.com/p/archfs/ or one of the Web front ends:
> http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/GraphicalUserInterfaces

Neat - I got archfs installed on my linux server ... seems to do
exactly what I had before!  Neat!  (Though, I can't view the mounted
fuse volume through netatalk [afp] on my mac -- I'm sure that's a
fuse/netatalk issue though ... I may see if archfs will work with
macfuse.)

I will also check out some of the web stuff -- thanks!  It usually
figures that any idea I have had, someone has had before and done a
better job at implementing.

> The reason it hasn't been implemented is that it would require either
> figuring out how much space is needed beforehand (which requires scanning
> the whole source repository in advance, something which rdiff-backup is
> currently not setup for; however implementing that functionality would allow
> various other requested features to be developed), or rdiff-backup would
> have to detect that out-of-disk-space event, reverse the current session,
> delete an increment, and start over (that, of course, hits a horrible case
> when the current backup wants to add a, say, 40GB file, and deleting each
> increment only frees a few MB or so).

Yea - I can see how it would be challenging -- I wasn't sure if maybe
rdiff calculated the changes prior to doing the backup ... if that was
the case, i thought maybe it would be easy to implement something
in-between the calculation and the start of the backup.

Thanks for your responses.

Damon