Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:27:06 +0000

Michael Biebl wrote:
2009/1/16 Dominic <address@hidden>:
The reason I use rsync for the secondary backup is that I just want a mirror
of the data on the first (rdiff-backup) backup machine - including (and
especially) all the rdiff-backup archives. Doing an rdiff-backup of an
rdiff-backup archive would seem too much of a good thing. Or maybe I just
can't get my head around it.
Ah, I didn't mean it that way
What I had in mind was something like:

rdiff-backup /foo /backup/
rdiff-backup /foo remote-server::/backup/

(both triggered via cron, e.g.)
in that case rdiff-backup would be (IMO) the best solution for both backups.

The advantages that I can see to rsync are relative simplicity (though maybe not once you are using rsnapshot on top of it) and the comfort factor that comes from knowing "one million administrators can't be wrong". Rdiff-backup is certainly less widely used, but it's not on the bleeding edge either.

For my money (and it doesn't take any!) the only thing that rdiff-backup lacks as a backup solution is data security against a malicious administrator. There is a workaround involving encfs over sshfs, but (not having tried it) I expect there is a heavy performance penalty. It also has no built-in data security against theft of the backup machine or disk, but this can be covered I think by using an encrypted filesystem. AFAIK the best secure open-source data-backup solution is Box Backup, which uses reverse incremental diffs just like rdiff-backup (but I haven't used it).

Dominic