Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:32:33 +0000

Michael Biebl wrote:
2.) If one of the rdiffs goes corrupt (e.g. via a bad sector), all my
older backups are broken.
mmm, true I think, you should use raid or (better IMHO) a secondary backup
(use rsync).
Is there a reason why you recommend rsync for that? If I understood
the project description correctly, rdiff-backup should work just fine
for remote backups.
The reason I use rsync for the secondary backup is that I just want a mirror of the data on the first (rdiff-backup) backup machine - including (and especially) all the rdiff-backup archives. Doing an rdiff-backup of an rdiff-backup archive would seem too much of a good thing. Or maybe I just can't get my head around it.

Dominic