Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] incremental or differential backup
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:49:43 +0000

Michael Biebl wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this list, so if this question has already been answered
please bare with me and point me to the relevant discussion.

I was wondering, if rdiff-backup stores the snapshots differentially
or incrementally
incrementally
Say, I create a snapshot every day.
If I want to restore a file from 15 days ago, do I need all 15
snapshots to restore the state (incremental) or only the current
up-to-date state + 1 rdiff (differential)?
you need them all, but rdiff-backup handles it all 'under the hood'
If rdiff-backup only allows incremental backups, I see the following problems:
1.) If a file changes a little every day (big mysql db), then
restoring the file (from say 100 days ago) will probably take a lot of
processing time, space and memory.
the extra overhead in space for many incremental backups vs. one differential backup is not great, but yes I guess it will take more time and memory
2.) If one of the rdiffs goes corrupt (e.g. via a bad sector), all my
older backups are broken.
hmmm, true I think, you should use raid or (better IMHO) a secondary backup (use rsync). There is also the --verify-at-time option in rdiff-backup which I confess I have not used (oops!) - this should allow you (I think/hope) to confirm that backups at any given point in the past are not corrupt. Good idea to run this before doing the secondary backup I guess? [Question for expert: if rdiff-backup --verify-at-time 1Y succeeds does this also mean that all backups within the last year are uncorrupted too? I see that it reports success even if there are no backups that old in the archive.]
3.) I can't throw away rdiffs, say I want to create daily snapshots,
keep 30 of them, then keep monthly snapshots, and so on (basically
what tools like rsnaphost provide).
The logic of rdiff-backup is that you don't need to try to keep just monthly snapshots, you can keep your daily snapshots forever. It is true that recovering a file from a very long time ago, and which has changed a lot in the meantime, might take a while, but it would be a very rare event. Recovering more recent files which would be a more common event would be much faster, and of course the most recent backup (which is probably what is wanted in 95% of cases) is stored in the clear.

Others may have some better informed comments...

Dominic