Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:25:51 -0500

On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Gregy wrote:

It looks like the ext3 filesystem does not support your Windows-1250 files
natively.

Yes that seems to be the problem or maybe rather then filesystem,
system encoding is the problem.

Yes. And there is nothing rdiff-backup can do about that without extensive re-working. (Nor, should it really be expected to, I think.)

Using rdiff-backup over ssh to or from Windows is the recommended,
and best, solution not only because it fixes the filenames, but because it restores the Windows metadata as well (which Linux/ext3 does not preserve on
its own).

But I am using rdiff-backup + plink (ssh).

Correct. The files are fixed on the *restore* ... no Unix software is capable of implementing the Windows-1250 filenames on the Linux destination, unless the OS + filesystem cooperate. And even if the OS + filesystem cooperated for the filenames, the other Windows-only attributes could only be fixed on the restore anyway. So, it's important to use rdiff-backup for the restore unless 100% impossible.

Andrew