Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:18:46 -0500

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Gregy, you probably have a display issue in your xterm or whatever you
> are using to view the filenames on Linux.

The problem is Linux naturally doesn't have first class support for
Windows 1250, since it's a proprietary Microsoft encoding
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1250).  See e.g.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/112089

 I know this is the case on my
> Macs: if I backup a Unicode file on them, but then look in the Mac
> Terminal, I see ?'s, but if I look at the files through the Mac GUI, I
> see the Unicode characters.

I don't know why the Mac is getting that confused, but xterm on
GNU/Linux handles Unicode (e.g. UTF-8) perfectly.  However, I don't know
a way to tell it to use Windows 1250 or similar pre-Unicode encodings.

Matt Flaschen