Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Data Privacy from system administrator withrdif

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Data Privacy from system administrator withrdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:27:06 +0000

Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Dominic <address@hidden> wrote:

Greg Freemyer wrote:

I use rdiff-backup to a local encfs directory.  Then I do a rsync of
the encrypted version of the encfs directory to a third party
location.

... That sounds clever. But I don't understand why it is not secure to use encfs
directly on the third party remote server (assuming that it is available of
course)

Ignoring security, there is also a bandwidth issue... So I treat that as a true disaster recovery backup (fire / natural disaster / etc.).

Yes I can see the important of that, but running rdiff-backup direct to an external server which is using encFS (running 'rdiff-backup --server' on the server rather than using sshFS) would not incur extra bandwidth overhead (compared to using rsync as you do). I accept however that it is inherently insecure, which is a killer. And running it through sshFS (as in the wiki) is secure but I would expect it to increase the traffic dramatically.

Your solution seems perfect to me though: primary backup onsite and secure secondary backup offsite.

Dominic