Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Data Privacy from system administrator with rdi

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Data Privacy from system administrator with rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:42:27 +0000

Ryan How wrote:
Looked at this myself. It depends on whether you trust the remote machine. They could just replace the encfs command, get your password and read your data.

Not specific to this thread, but perhaps the way to do it would be to use something like sshfs to mount a remote volume, create a large file on that (with an encrypted filesystem in it), and mount that locally on a loopback device. I can see there being some overheads, but the encrypted filesystem would only ever be "in the clear" on your own system where it's mounted - both the network traffic AND the contents of the file would be encrypted before leaving your system. In fact, using a secure transport (such as sshfs) wouldn't be required.

Unless I've missed something very obvious !

--
Simon Hobson