Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

From: Helge Milde
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:08:02 +0100

Dave Kempe wrote:
Helge Milde wrote:
If it is intended, are there any workarounds for this? We need to be able to restore a backup within minutes, and a backup process can last for 6+ hours (and we do them twice a day).

I believe this is intended behaviour. The backups are mean to be atomic. Thus its not possible to restore increments inside the time it takes to backup (ie while the backup is running).

Can you elaborate on this, please? I don't understand what's technically
preventing rdiff-backup from letting me restore a backup from (for
instance) a given date. As far as I understand, rdiff already has all
the data it needs to do a restore, and since it should be a read-only
operation, I don't understand how that would impact or corrupt the
ongoing backup process.

--
Helge Milde