Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:16:15 +0000

Helge Milde wrote:

Can you elaborate on this, please? I don't understand what's technically
preventing rdiff-backup from letting me restore a backup from (for
instance) a given date. As far as I understand, rdiff already has all
the data it needs to do a restore, and since it should be a read-only
operation, I don't understand how that would impact or corrupt the
ongoing backup process.

OK, say you want to restore file A from some time ago.

rdiff-backup must take the current version of the file and apply all the rdiffs back to the version you need. So it starts with the current version of File A.

Two scenarios :

1) The backup process tries to update File A and finds it locked - backup fails.

2) The backup process doesn't find a locked file, but it managed to swap out the file for a new version just before the restore accesses it - but after it's accessed the metadata. The restore process now computes the old version of the file to restore whilst missing out the latest rdiff that it doesn't know about - you get a corrupt restored file.

Both of these need very precise timing to 'fail', but it's far easier to apply locking and be 100% sure it won't happen. The alternative would be file by file locking which would complicate things somewhat.

--
Simon Hobson