[rdiff-backup-users] Restructuring an archive

From: Alan Douglas
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Restructuring an archive
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:56:32 -0700

I've been running rdiff-backup for two years, and now desperately need to
restructure things (this is with version 1.1.15 on Ubuntu).  I've tried
SplitRdiffBackup but it was taking far too long and really wasn't doing what
I wanted.  I then wrote a script that would restore each increment in turn
for the necessary paths, then build a new archive using --current-time, but
again it was taking far too long.  I've looked at archfs, but computationaly
speaking, it would be doing the same thing as my script.

It looks like I'm going to have roll my own solution -- one that applies the
rdiffs in a more intelligent fashion.

At least for this first phase, I am working with files from a single
directory, which keeps it simple.

My plan is to have a seeding script that will restore back to the oldest
increment by applying the rdiffs directly using patch, but every ten
increments would save an intermediate version of the files.  A second script
would then restore to each increment (adding it to the new archive), by
applying rdiffs to the closest intermediate version.

This method should run about 65 times faster than the brute force approach,
while eating about 200GB for all the intermediate copies.  If I had a couple
of TBs of spare disk space, it could be done a lot faster and simpler, but I
don't.

Has anyone done anything like this before?  Are there any problems or gotchas
with applying the rdiffs directly, rather than restoring using rdiff-backup?
Are there any alternatives that I have missed?  I tried searching the list
archives but it was hard to find good search terms.

Thanks,
Alan/