[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff trying to backup specified directory PLUS roo

From: Pete Dubler
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff trying to backup specified directory PLUS root directory
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:19:35 -0700

I have recently upgraded my servers from Redhat 7 and 8 to Fedora Core 5
and am running rdiff-backup 1.0.4

On serverA I have a large directory, /data, which I am backing up to
server2 into /backup1/data

The initial rdiff-backup builds the backup just fine, allbeit taking
many hours, as expected.

When I go to run an incremental rdiff-backup, things proceed for many
hours as the system steps through the /data directory, then things get
messy... rdiff-backup starts to then attempt to backup  my root
directory into the destination directory.  So /bin, /etc, /usr, and the
rest are written to the destination directory.  Of course when the
attempt to write /proc happen, everything falls apart and the list of
error messages is huge.

Also, whole directories are not showing up in the backup.  (for example,
the /data/Word Files/pete/, /data/Word Files/,  /data/Word Files/pete,
and /data/Word Files/jill are not backed up.  (could this have something
to do with the /data/**.tmp in the exclude file?

The only change since the upgrade is adding the /data/**.tmp line to the
exclude file, but even without this line, I get the same results.  This
all used to work just dandy before my upgrade.  It seems I must be
missing something essential in the set-up of the exclude file.  Any help
is greatly appreciated.

Authorization keys are set-up correctly to allow address@hidden to ssh to
address@hidden without a password.

Here are the details:

this command line:

rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist
/root/scripts/RDIFFBACKUPEXCLUDE /data address@hidden::/backup1/data

after running for many hours, produces this error list (only a few lines
shown):

ListError proc/10/environ/exe [Errno 2] No such file or directory
ListError proc/10/task/10/environ/exe [Errno 2] No such file or directory
ListError proc/1326/environ/exe [Errno 2] No such file or directory
ListError proc/1326/task/1326/environ/exe [Errno 2] No such file or
directory
ListError proc/1348/environ/exe [Errno 2] No such file or directory
... and so forth for many pages...

Here is the content of RDIFFBACKUPEXCLUDE:

/data/xpbackup
/data/**.tmp