[rdiff-backup-users] Wish list: Don't start backup if there's not enough

From: Erik Forsberg
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Wish list: Don't start backup if there's not enough space
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:40:48 +0200

Hi!

Now and then, my backup server's diskspace gets full, and this most
often happens during a backup. This means I have to run a rdiff-backup
--check-destination-dir which takes some time. Also, due to
restrictions in the setup, I have to login to the backup server and do
this by hand.

Would it be possible for rdiff-backup to make an estimation of how
much space is needed, and exit with a warning about this instead of
messing up the destination directory after an unclean exit due to full
disk?

I understand that this might be less than trivial due to the
compression, but in my case, an estimation would be good enough,
something like "Uh-oh.. i need to store 2Gb uncompressed, there's only
1.5G left, that'll probably not succeed. Cowardly exiting".

Regards,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Systems Analyst/Developer    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00