Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How will rdiff-backup behave if I rename files?

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How will rdiff-backup behave if I rename files?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:10:21 -0700 (PDT)

rdiff-backup won't handle this cleanly.  it will treat all the newly named
files as new and keep deltas deleting the old names... so yeah it'll
double your space requirements until you age the old deltas.

the inode is used for hardlink detection only... not renaming
unfortunately.

mind you i've never investigated what it would do if you hardlinked, did a
backup, then deleted the original...

if your boxes are separated by a narrow pipe and you'd like to avoid
retransferring everything you can delete the history (rdiff-backup-data
subdir), and rename the mirror, and then use rdiff-backup --force to
create a new history... or maybe use rsync's --fuzzy option once...

-dean