[rdiff-backup-users] How will rdiff-backup behave if I rename files?

From: Erik Forsberg
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] How will rdiff-backup behave if I rename files?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:53:40 +0200

Hi!

Currently, filenames on our NFS servers (backed up with rdiff-backup)
are coded using iso-8859-1. We're thinking about switching to utf-8
for filename encoding (and file content encoding as well, but that's
less relevant here).

Will rdiff-backup cope with this situation nicely, or will all renamed
files be treated as delete old filename + new file, causing a need for
more storage space on the backup server?

I'm confused on whether the inode is used by rdiff-backup or not. I'm
running rdiff-backup 1.1.5.

Cheers,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Systems Analyst/Developer    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00