Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: [librsync-users] more info on 25gig files

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: [librsync-users] more info on 25gig files
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:31:20 -0700

> I tried putting this into Rdiff.py to replace the previous divide by
> 2000 section and I am still getting:
>  python: ERROR: (rs_job_iter) internal error: job made no progress
> [orig_in=120794, orig_out=65536, final_in=120794, final_out=65536]
> UpdateError TWDOCS2002.adm librsync error 107 while in patch cycle

Yeah, although that may help performance, the old code should not have
been the source of any errors.  (As I understand it, at worst deltas
may have been larger than necessary.)

> I also notice in _librsyncmodule.c there is #define RS_JOB_BLOCKSIZE
> 65536 and 65536 is the the orig_out and final_out that it's saying in
> that message.  Is it something to do with that define perhaps?  By the
> way, has anyone been able to test files >=25gig and had it work?

Possibly, looking at librsync 0.9.7 it seems that their
RS_DEFAULT_BLOCK_LEN (which corresponds to my RS_JOB_BLOCKSIZE I
think) is 2048.  But offhand I don't see why that would cause any
problems.

Just to clarify, you say that the rdiff program works, but Rdiff.py
fails even when it uses the same version of librsync?  Then it would
seem the problem is not librsync.  Also you said Rdiff.py works on
files greater than 4GB (but less than 25GB)?

--
Ben Escoto