Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Mac OS X 10.4: /rsrc paths are

From: Scott Lamb
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Mac OS X 10.4: /rsrc paths are deprecated
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:45:12 -0700

On 12 May 2005, at 21:23, Ben Escoto wrote:
Thank you for the heads-up.  Can someone advise me here?  I am not
familiar with OS X and did not write the OS X code for the most part.

As I understand it, HPS allows access to the resource fork of file
"foobar" through reads/writes to "foobar/rsrc".  And this is how
rdiff-backup detects, reads, and writes resource forks.  If this no
longer works because of a change to Darwin/OS X then this part of
rdiff-backup obviously needs to be rewritten.

I think it still works; it just issues a warning. I haven't reinstalled rdiff-backup since upgrading to Tiger (should in the next few days...) but I just did a "cp blah/rsrc blah-rsrc" and it worked. It gave that same warning in system.log, but it also made a copy of the resource fork.

From a quick search from developer.apple.com and google, I couldn't find an alternative. There are some crusty old Carbon APIs, but I doubt that's what they want you to do. Maybe they're just encouraging people to stop using resource forks altogether. They're old and busted.

Doesn't really help here, though. As long as any application stores data in resource forks (Quicken!), rdiff-backup should keep them.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>