Re: [rdiff-backup-users] changed file format?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] changed file format?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:30:18 -0400

> I am converting from version 0.12.3 to 0.12.6, both versions built from
> tar archives with the same copy of librsync-0.9.6.  The machine was
> RH7.3 at the time 0.12.3 was built, but converted to RH9, kernel 2.4.20
> in between. It appears that rdiff-backup file formats are not entirely
> compatible between the two versions.  I have done the following test:
> Re-saved the same directory with the new version
> rdiff-backup.0.12.6 tmp test
> Got a warning message:
> Warning: Metadata file not found.
> Metadata will be read from filesystem.
> I noticed that the time format in the data filenames has changed.
> The files created by 0.12.3 end with "+01:00" for my timezone, but
> 0.12.6 uses "Z" (except for the error log, which still has
> "+01:00").  Could the problem be something to do with this?

The file formats should be exactly the same between versions.  I think
you are right, the problem may have to do with the time.  Perhaps
v0.12.6 cannot find the metadata file because it is looking under the
wrong time.  Without the metadata file it cannot list-changed-since,
and also warns about this when backing up.

There was a daylight savings time fix in 0.12.6, could that be the
problem?  Perhaps earlier backups were listed an hour too soon.  Which
suffix is right, "Z" (for UTC), or "+01:00" (for one hour ahead of
UTC)?n

All the files produced by a session should have the same time suffix.
Are you sure error_log still has "+01:00"?

--
Ben Escoto