Re: [rdiff-backup-users] I need help repairing rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] I need help repairing rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:41:44 -0700

> I haven't had any feedback on previous messages. Is anyone actually
> reading these?

I still have some of your previous message marked as new, and I
hoped/hope to get back to them.  At first glance I couldn't tell what
the problem was.  It could be a bug in rdiff-backup, or some unusual
condition in your system.

> I two current_mirror files:
>
> May  2 00:00 current_mirror.2004-05-02T00:00:01-04:00.data
> May  3 00:00 current_mirror.2004-05-03T00:00:01-04:00.data
>
> The one on May 3, has no accompanying meta_data, statistics, or error
> files associated with it.
>
> So I assume that one is serving no purpose what so ever and I can
> probably safely delete it.
>
> The one on May 2nd is the one that seems to be causing the problem, and
> the meta_data file does exist for that mirror file.
>
> So if I delete them both (leaving me with no current_mirror) will
> rdiff-backup be able to function or re-create what it needs to do the
> backup?

You always need one current_mirror marker.  It should work to delete
(only) the earlier one, as the FAQ recommends.  But as the FAQ also
says, no one should be in this condition, so something has obviously
gone wrong in your case.

--
Ben Escoto