[rdiff-backup-users] I need help repairing rdiff-backup

From: Chris Young
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] I need help repairing rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:18:39 -0400

My backups have stopped working.

When I run rdiff-backup it starts with the following message:

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Regressing to Sun May  2 00:00:01 2004

As it goes through the directory structure in the backup directory, an
error occurs each time it gets to /var/qmail/queue directory:

Warning, metadata file has entry for var/qmail/queue/mess/13/5325203,
but there are no associated files

I looked in the rdiff-backup-data directory and found two mirror files,
both of which have zero file size:

May  2 00:00 current_mirror.2004-05-02T00:00:01-04:00.data
May  3 00:00 current_mirror.2004-05-03T00:00:01-04:00.data

Apparently rdiff backup failed on May 3rd.

Looking at the error_log file for May 2nd, shows this:

UpdateError var/qmail/queue/mess/13/5325203 File changed from regular
file before signature

It looks to me like this file is referenced in the data file but it is
not physically in the backup set (I checked and it is in fact missing).

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to recover from this error without creating a new full
backup (basically starting over) ?
2. Is it a bad idea to backup the mail queue. I do at least want to
backup mail on the server.

I haven't had any feedback on previous messages. Is anyone actually
reading these?

Thanks.

Chris Young

Synergy Point