qemu-ppc

Re: [PULL 02/41] target/ppc: 603: fix restore of GPRs 0-3 on rfi

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [PULL 02/41] target/ppc: 603: fix restore of GPRs 0-3 on rfi
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 19:00:07 +0000

On 31/01/2022 17:04, Peter Maydell wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 17:00, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
Here we see checkpatch.pl has no issues with the output of git diff, but when
you run
it on the whole file:
... it shows up. How is it possible for checkpatch.pl to miss things when
processing
diffs instead of whole files?

Probably because checkpatch is a pretty hairy perl script

That's a good enough explanation for me ;)

and sometimes
it mis-parses stuff, especially when it's working with a diff hunk
and it has a limited view of the context around the statement.
It's always been best-effort rather than guaranteed to catch all
formatting issues.

For this particular error, it doesn't seem to me worth making Cédric
reroll the pullreq to fix it unless there's some other issue with
it; we can fix it with a followup patch.

Right. I should clarify that I wasn't asking to NAK the PR (there's plenty of good stuff in there), more aiming to document the particular case in the hope someone familiar with Perl could figure out what was happening.

ATB,

Mark.