qemu-ppc

Re: [PULL 02/41] target/ppc: 603: fix restore of GPRs 0-3 on rfi

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 02/41] target/ppc: 603: fix restore of GPRs 0-3 on rfi
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:04:46 +0000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 17:00, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
> Here we see checkpatch.pl has no issues with the output of git diff, but when
> you run
> it on the whole file:
> ... it shows up. How is it possible for checkpatch.pl to miss things when
> processing
> diffs instead of whole files?

Probably because checkpatch is a pretty hairy perl script and sometimes
it mis-parses stuff, especially when it's working with a diff hunk
and it has a limited view of the context around the statement.
It's always been best-effort rather than guaranteed to catch all
formatting issues.

For this particular error, it doesn't seem to me worth making Cédric
reroll the pullreq to fix it unless there's some other issue with
it; we can fix it with a followup patch.

thanks
-- PMM