Re: GPIO-IN/OUT in Qemu

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: GPIO-IN/OUT in Qemu
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:26:26 +0100

On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 08:07, Mahmoud Shirazi <m.shirazi@iasbs.ac.ir> wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> I am working on Windows machine. Then, I connect the serial port, i.e. UART1,
> to a virtual COM port on the host. Sending the data from the guest to host
> works successfully; however, when I send the data from the host to the guest,
> the guest does not receive anything. I checked it and I find that the
> interrupt is not raises in the guest although it is enabled.  My it is due to
> a bug in Qemu? or something else that I am missing...?

Support for connecting an emulated UART up to a real
host UART requires specific support for doing that in
the UART model code. Most of our UARTs don't handle that.
If you don't actually want to talk to a real bit of
serial hardware I suggest that you don't try to use
host virtual COM ports but instead use one of QEMU's
chardev backends that will let you talk to host software.

thanks