qemu-devel

Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:33:55 +0000

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:29:32PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some (unclear) reason I got my free tier Gitlab account renewed and
> lost the privilege for users opening account before the quota limit.
>
> I pushed a single branch to my namespace repo to trigger a pipeline.
> 1h later I was surprised to see the pipeline was stuck, having completed
> 99 jobs of 119. Looking closer there is a red comment on top of the
> pipeline:
>
>  philmd has exceeded its pipeline minutes quota. Unless you buy
>  additional pipeline minutes, no new jobs or pipelines in its projects
>  will run. [Buy more Pipelines minutes]
>
> So I exhausted my 400 monthly minutes credit.
>
> From this FAQ:
> https://about.gitlab.com/pricing/faq-consumption-cicd/#managing-your-cicd-minutes-usage
>
> Q. What happens if I hit the CI/CD Minutes allotted limit and forget to
> purchase additional CI/CD Minutes?
>
> A. You will not be able to run new jobs until you purchase additional
> CI/CD Minutes, or until the next month when you receive your monthly
> allotted CI/CD Minutes.
>
> Q. Will I be notified before I hit my limit on CI/CD Minutes?
>
> A. You will receive notification banners in-app when your group has less
> than 30%, 5% or exceeded your total allotted CI/CD minutes.
>
> I indeed received 3 warnings in 7 minutes.
>
> Now I'm having serious doubts about Gitlab usefulness for the QEMU
> community...

Per the discussions in the related Forum postings about CI limites, the
400 minute limit is still only intended to apply to projects that are
marked as private.  Public projects are not even being tracked for
accounting, let alone have a limit enforced. They also said they want
to make sure they don't impact ability of users to contribute to OSS
projects hosted on GitLab that require use of CI.

It feels like what you hit here is fallout from your account accidentally
getting blocked, rather than something which is hitting every contributor
to QEMU. Did they restore projects as private perhaps ?

Regards,
Daniel