qemu-devel

Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:55:45 +0100

On 3/18/21 2:28 AM, Bin Meng wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 4:32 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some (unclear) reason I got my free tier Gitlab account renewed and
>> lost the privilege for users opening account before the quota limit.
>>
>> I pushed a single branch to my namespace repo to trigger a pipeline.
>> 1h later I was surprised to see the pipeline was stuck, having completed
>> 99 jobs of 119. Looking closer there is a red comment on top of the
>> pipeline:
>>
>>  philmd has exceeded its pipeline minutes quota. Unless you buy
>>  additional pipeline minutes, no new jobs or pipelines in its projects
>>  will run. [Buy more Pipelines minutes]
>>
>> So I exhausted my 400 monthly minutes credit.
>>
>> From this FAQ:
>> https://about.gitlab.com/pricing/faq-consumption-cicd/#managing-your-cicd-minutes-usage
>>
>> Q. What happens if I hit the CI/CD Minutes allotted limit and forget to
>> purchase additional CI/CD Minutes?
>>
>> A. You will not be able to run new jobs until you purchase additional
>> CI/CD Minutes, or until the next month when you receive your monthly
>> allotted CI/CD Minutes.
>>
>> Q. Will I be notified before I hit my limit on CI/CD Minutes?
>>
>> A. You will receive notification banners in-app when your group has less
>> than 30%, 5% or exceeded your total allotted CI/CD minutes.
>>
>> I indeed received 3 warnings in 7 minutes.
>>
>> Now I'm having serious doubts about Gitlab usefulness for the QEMU
>> community...
>>
>> Some screenshots FWIW:
>>
>> https://pasteboard.co/JT51wGR.png
>> https://pasteboard.co/JT51Rqq.png
>
> This snapshot shows that 2278 / 400 minutes (569%) were used. Strange?

Checking the timestamps, the last job was created *before* the 400min
limit. Gitlab didn't killed the running jobs once the limit was reached,
so the counter kept incrementing. Now I wonder if I buy 400 new minutes
I'll have new credit or it will be used to pay my debt...

Anyhow we have more than 100 jobs, so that mean if we use Gitlab once
a month, each job can't take more than 4min...

>> https://pasteboard.co/JT52fNL.png
>
> I checked my gitlab settings, and it shows 0 / 400 minutes. However I
> am pretty sure I have been using gitlab CI this month several times.

You likely created your account more than 6 months ago. See
previous discussions:

https://forum.gitlab.com/t/ci-cd-minutes-for-gitlab-saas-free-tier/40241/42
https://forum.gitlab.com/t/ci-cd-minutes-for-gitlab-saas-free-tier/40241/52
https://forum.gitlab.com/t/ci-cd-minutes-for-gitlab-saas-free-tier/40241/59