qemu-devel

Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 17:41:14 +0100

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:01:27 -0400
John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:

> If you're in the CC list, it's because you are listed in MAINTAINERS.

<cleared the cc: list except for qemu-devel :)>

> Paolo's QEMU keynote this morning mentioned the possible use of the
> Gitlab issue tracker instead of using Launchpad.
>
> I'm quite fond of the gitlab issue tracker, I think it works quite well
> and it has pretty good and uncomplicated API access to it in order to
> customize your workflow if you'd really like to.
>
> In experimenting with my mirror on gitlab though, I was unable to find a
> way to configure it to send issue tracker notifications to the email
> list. A move to gitlab would likely mean, then:
>
> 1. The cessation of (automatic) issue tracker mails to the list
> 2. The loss of the ability to update the issue tracker by replying to
> said emails
> 3. Anyone listed in MAINTAINERS would be expected to have a gitlab
> account in order to interact with the issue tracker.

The gitlab issue tracker is almost certainly is an improvement over
launchpad (and I do have a gitlab account); but not being able to
interact via email is at least annoying. I expect that not only
maintainers will want to interact with bug reports?

> However, once you have a gitlab account, you DO gain the ability to
> receive emails for issues; possibly only those tagged with labels that
> you cared about -- giving a nice filtering mechanism to receive only
> bugs you care about.
>
> Gitlab also does support individual accounts updating issues using a
> generated personalized email address, so if the email workflow is
> crucial to you, it is still available.

You mean that I can update via email, provided it's an address
associated with my account?