qemu-devel

Re: Maintainers, please add Message-Id: when merging patches

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: Maintainers, please add Message-Id: when merging patches
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:18:57 +0100

Am 22.01.2020 um 13:28 hat Kevin Wolf geschrieben:
> Am 22.01.2020 um 13:02 hat Stefan Hajnoczi geschrieben:
> > Around 66% of qemu.git commits since v4.1.0 include a Message-Id: tag.
> > Hooray!

> > This information is helpful to anyone wishing to refer back to email
> > discussions and patch series.
> >
> > Please use git-am(1) -m/--message-id or set am.messageid in your
> > git-config(1).
>
> I've had -m in my scripts for a while (last time someone asked me to
> make the change, I guess), but it wasn't effective, because my .muttrc
> has 'set pipe_decode' enabled, which doesn't only decode the output, but
> also throws away most headers.
>
> I seem to remember that this was necessary at some point because
> otherwise some mails just wouldn't apply. Maybe 'git am' works better
> these days and can actually parse the mails that used to give me
> problems. I'll give it a try and disable pipe_decode.

Here is the first patch for which it failed for me:

The problem seems to be related to line endings because the patch that
git-apply sees eventually has "\r\n" whereas the file to be patched has
only "\n".

If I understand correctly (this is a bit of guesswork after reading man
pages and trying out a few options), git-mailsplit would normally get
rid of the "\r". However, this specific patch email is base64 encoded,
so the encoded "\r" characters survive this stage.

git-mailinfo later decodes the email, but doesn't seem to do anything
about "\r" again, so it survives this one as well. This means feeding a
patch with the wrong line endings to git-apply, which just fails.

Any suggestion how to fix this? (For this patch, I just enabled
pipe_decode again, so no Message-Id tag for it.)

Kevin