qemu-devel

Re: Maintainers, please add Message-Id: when merging patches

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: Maintainers, please add Message-Id: when merging patches
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 15:10:08 +0100

On 01/22/20 13:30, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Around 66% of qemu.git commits since v4.1.0 include a Message-Id: tag.
>> Hooray!

>> This information is helpful to anyone wishing to refer back to email
>> discussions and patch series.
>
> So I guess the ones that don't are maintainer originated patches unless
> you actively rebuild your trees from a posted series?

I *think* this should not be a huge problem process wise:

Assuming that a maintainer does not include their own patches in a PULL
request for Peter until the same patches receive R-b/A-b/T-b feedback
from other list subscribers, the maintainer will want to rebase the
patches at least once anyway, in order to pick up those lines.

And, in the process, the maintainer might as well add in their own
Message-Id's from the list.

... I realize though, that could be more burden in practice than just
running git-am against the same (known) base commit... One could always
run git-range-diff in the end, to compare the "re-pick" versus the
original local branch.

Thanks
Laszlo