qemu-devel

discuss about pvpanic

From: zhenwei pi
Subject: discuss about pvpanic
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:25:52 +0800

Hey, Paolo
Currently, pvpapic only supports bit 0(PVPANIC_PANICKED).
We usually expect that guest writes ioport (typical 0x505) in panic_notifier_list callback
during handling panic, then we can handle pvpapic event PVPANIC_PANICKED in QEMU.

On the other hand, guest wants to handle the crash by kdump-tools, and reboots without any
panic_notifier_list callback. So QEMU only knows that guest has rebooted (because guest
write 0xcf9 ioport for RCR request), but QEMU can't identify why guest resets.

In production environment, we hit about 100+ guest reboot event everyday, sadly we
can't separate the abnormal reboot from normal operation.

We want to add a new bit for pvpanic event(maybe PVPANIC_CRASHLOADED) to represent the guest has crashed,
and the panic is handled by the guest kernel. (here is the previous patch https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/12/14/265)

What do you think about this solution? Or do you have any other suggestions?
--
Thanks and Best Regards,
zhenwei pi