qemu-devel

Re: [External] Re: discuss about pvpanic

From: zhenwei pi
Subject: Re: [External] Re: discuss about pvpanic
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 18:33:20 +0800

On 1/8/20 6:05 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 08/01/20 10:58, Michal Privoznik wrote:
the kernel-side patch certainly makes sense.  I assume that you want the
event to propagate up from QEMU to Libvirt and so on?  The QEMU patch
would need to declare a new event (qapi/misc.json) and send it in
handle_event (hw/misc/pvpanic.c).  For Libvirt I'm not familiar, so I'm
adding the respective list.
Adding an event is fairly easy, if everything you want libvirt to do is
report the event to upper layers. I volunteer to do it. Question is, how
qemu is going to report this, whether some attributes to GUEST_PANICKED
event or some new event.
I think it should be a new event, using GUEST_PANICKED could cause upper
layers to react by shutting down or rebooting the guest.

Thanks,

Paolo

In previous patch(https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/12/14/265), I defined a new bit (bit 1)
PVPANIC_CRASH_LOADED for guest crash loaded event. And suggested by KH Greg, I moved
the bit definition to an uapi header file.
Then QEMU could include the header file from linux header and handle the new event.
--
Thanks and Best Regards,
zhenwei pi