Re: Qemu support for mcimx6ul-evk machine

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Qemu support for mcimx6ul-evk machine
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:54:35 +0000

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 10:43, Pratik Parvati <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have run the qemu command with dtb file
>
> $ qemu-system-arm -M mcimx6ul-evk -m 512M -kernel output/images/zImage
> -monitor stdio -dtb output/images/imx6ul-14x14-evk.dtb
>
> I am seeing a serial0 console popping up but there is no log on the console.
> I see something like this
>

> There is no rootfs now So, I should at least see logs with a kernel panic at
> the end. I wonder why I am not seeing any linux boot logs on the console. Did
> I miss anything in the command?

It doesn't look obviously wrong. Possibly either:
 * it's the wrong dtb for this board (though the filename
   looks right)
 * the kernel is not configured correctly
 * the kernel is trying to access some device that QEMU
   doesn't model and crashing

Generally bootup problems all manifest in about the same way:
the kernel dies before managing to print anything to serial.
You need to debug them the same way you'd debug board bringup
on real hardware -- the QEMU gdbstub can sometimes be helpful.

thanks
-- PMM